Tuesday, January 18, 2011

So I'm returning my iPad.  I don't think I am taking a computer at all with me to Zambia.  I am taking my nano and camera and that's it.  I was really excited to bring my iPad because I wanted to ease MY transition into this country when in reality its not about ME.  And my mom said she would bring me her laptop when she comes to visit IF I change my mind and want it.  

My last day of work at The Goddard School was Friday :(  I loved working there and all those little babies. It is weird to think that when I return most of my kids will be in the preschool side of the building...TALKING, WALKING AND POTTY TRAINED....crazy.

Saturday night was amazing.  A lot of my sorority sisters came to Indy and we went to Broadripple.  Shit show.  My friend Sarah W. and I cried in a bathroom together over the fact that I am leaving.  Next Saturday is my families going away party at my sisters house.  We will also be visiting Broadripple again for hopefully another memorable night.  

I think I have almost everything I need, I just need to wash some stuff and start actually packing.  I still have not committed to what bags I will be bringing.  Most likely I will be leaning toward checked bag #1 rolling duffel checked bag #2 hiking backpack and my carry on will be my smaller backpack and maybe a smaller duffel.  

My family freaked out over the 20/20 special.  I myself did not watch the special but I did read some of the article of the PCV who was tragically killed.  My aunts called me crying and left me messages.  They then called my mom and told her to watch the special(which I did not tell her about the special on purpose) they also  called my dad, who is out of the country on vacation, and told him about the special and he called my mom asking what they can do about their daughter going to Africa.  
All I can tell my family is that I have to be aware of my surroundings.  Be proactive about situations you are uncomfortable with and listen to the safety tips the PC has to tell me...

Be kind to one another

1 comment:

  1. Meredith, you are going to do great work in Zambia and the isolated incident of one Peace Corp participant should not deter anyone from being supportive. I completely understand everyone's concern (especially as a parent!) but I know you'll be just fine!! Just make sure you have a way to stay in touch with all of us so we know things are good. We're all going to miss you SOO much!!!

    ReplyDelete